- Education stages: Preschool y Primary
- Period: 2013-2014
- Service: Educational Self-Assessment, Educational Strategy Plan and Educational Projects Manager
- Participating teachers: 26
- Website: www.palamos.lasalle.cat
La Salle Palamós is a charter school set up by the Congregation of Christian Brothers (Congregación de los Hermanos de los Colegios Cristianos). The school completed an Educational Self-Assessment for different education stages (Preschool and Primary) in the academic year 2013-2014, as well as an Educational Strategy Plan with Escalae System’s tools. The school used the Educational Projects Manager and material to achieve educational standards improvement.
- Location: Palamos
- Unit: Association for the Institutionalizing of Educational Practices
- Title/Objective: Project to establish classroom components and the school’s organization as a support function for the methods aimed at promoting diversity.
- Period: October 2013-June 2014
Introductory description of the centre:
La Salle is committed to fostering a learning and development centre, whose aim is to help its students to reach their creative potential, both on an individual and social level. The Educational Community encourages its students to adopt an open-minded, resolute, positive attitude concerning their value proposition. The proposition entails:
- Responsibility. To make coherent decisions with their values and beliefs, in the knowledge of the consequences and obligations that they bring.
- Creativity. To encourage creative pursuit, initiative and the ability to see things from a different point of view.
- Coexistence. To foster mutual understanding, teamwork, good relations, respect for different opinions and for all belief systems, ideas or customs.
- Justice. To learn to be conscious of social injustice and to commit oneself toward a fairer and fraternal society.
- Inner awareness. To help students understand and interpret life’s occurrences and to favour inner growth.
- Transcendence. Based on the transformative ability of faith and the educational power of the gospel of Jesus, which lives and breathes in the Christian community.
Work process and development of the course methodology:
These steps are followed:
- The centre provides its educational objectives.
- Based on these objectives, the technical team establishes what the ideal educational intervention model or educational profile of the applicable stage should be. It also defines the organizational characteristics of the centre and the professional development of the teachers.
- The teaching staff respond to a factual analysis questionnaire, with the answers illustrating what can be expected at the centre at this time.
- Based on the present situation of the centre, educational improvement projects are established, which are necessary to attain the desired educational standard.
- The centre then prioritizes these projects based on what is likely to be the most effective and successful, related to the teaching-learning process.
- The technical team prepares the Educational Strategy Plan and the centre presents it to the faculty for approval.
The centre acquired its Educational Strategy Plan (ESP). In the ESP, activities to improve time in the classroom were identified as well as the corresponding connection with the centre’s organization and professional development of the teaching staff, in the short, medium and long term.
We received the following answers to a small set of questions that the school was kind enough to field:
Because of the need to grow within a quality system, especially concerning teaching competence.
What is the value that Escalae brought regarding the evaluations that your teachers have already put into practice?
The order and unification of educational criteria.
What benefits and uses does the Educational Strategy Plan bring?
It allows you to recognise systemic areas that require attention in the school.
What are the benefits and uses that the Work Group for the Institutionalizing of Educational Practices bring?
Improvement in academic results, the adoption of a rigorous, scientific approach on the part of our teaching workforce, as well as the recognition of the work carried out by the Learning Community.
Results of the experience.
The results are clearly evident and meaningful inside the classroom. We have ingrained the concept of the Learning Community and the improvement of our teaching abilities as signs of identity for the school.